It can be overwhelming to start. Where do you start? How do you start? What if you have a not so great history with your neighbors? Or what if they are impossible to deal with?
Getting started is a simple, two-step process:
1) Learn the names of your neighbors (the 5 houses bordering your house).
2) Pray for your neighbors by name. You can choose a house a week to focus on, but consistently pray for these neighbors. Prayer alone can accomplish mighty things — it can open hearts and minds, and can create opportunities for neighboring. Here are some specific prayer points:
- God will shed light in this home; for open hearts and minds to receive God’s will
- For opportunities to start and build a lasting relationship
- For God’s protection over this home and family; for the health and wellness of this family
- For any areas in this family’s life that are difficult or there is struggle, that God would use them to draw the family members closer to Him
- God would show me my part in the work He is doing in my neighborhood, with this family
- For any family member who does not have a saving relationship with Jesus, that the Holy Spirit will prepare that heart to receive God’s truth and mercy
- For any family member struggling in their faith, that God would fill their hearts with assurance that He is present and at work in their life
As you get to know your neighbors, you will recognize more specific things you can pray for them.